8.08.2004

Hmm

I've been very interested in spinning lately. By all means I'm a new knitter - I haven't even been knitting for a year yet - but I've been doing it enough that I've a lust for fiber and color has emerged. I call it a lust because thats what it is. I find myself NEEDING visual and tactile stimulation for the colors and the fibers!

Ok, now that you all think im nuts...

I want to start spinning and dying my own yarns... I've even been having dreams lately that I've bought angora bunnies and litter trained them. I figure instead of buying rabbits, its probably better for me to buy a spindle and give spinning a whorl. Unfortunatly, I don't even know where to begin.

When I taught myself how to knit, I took a trip to Barnes and Noble and bought Knitting for Dummies. From there, I went to Walmart and bought some bright yellow acrylic yarn and a pair of metal kneedles. Within a couple of weeks I was making scarves for every member of my family.

Anyhow. I think maybe ill take a trip to Barnes and Noble and take a look at some books. I'll also check to see if they have any magazines. Someone on Knitter's Review recommended Spin-Off. From there, I'll take a trip to EBay and buy a spindle and some wool. I'm nervous about what would be good for a beginner... and what ill be able to use the yarn for later... how much will i end up with?!?! but what the heck! I found a seller on EBay who has spindle/wool/book kits for like $10. Thats less than I spent on learning to knit. And, the spindles are pretty... hand painted... i could always use them for ornaments if im evaded by spinning!

Anyway, does anyone have any good suggestions on where to start (fiber/spindle?) Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!
Comments:
hi there!
thanks so much for commenting on my site..hearing from someone that has been there/done that has really made me feel better!! Some wise person once told me the same thing ;)

i have been wanting to learn how to spin sooo badly too! I have no idea where to start though...i've checked out some websites (and ebay of course!!) for drop spindles (and even the big scary wheel ones) and have looked at different spinning fiber, but i'm completely lost! Let me know what you find out...we should have a newbie-spin along!! ;)

may :)
 
megga.

it's tara. i found yours and matt's blog!

married! wow. congratulations.

i guess i don't keep in touch well enough.

i'll have to visit you guys in maryland!!!!
love.
 
hi meg...thanks for stopping in and commenting. you are so right. the most enjoyable aspect of knitting is the process! i love my finished stuff but it's the WIP's that i learn from the most.
i'm learning to spin, too. here is a site that sells some spinning supplies...although your ebay connection sounds great.

http://www.mielkesfarm.com/index.html

my knitting group has a few spinners. and one member raises her own angora bunnies. it is where i learned to spin. i'm still very new and have probably only spun about 5 feet. i may add a post soon on my spinning so keep watching!

good luck and thanks again for stopping by...
 
When you move to Frederick you HAVE to look me up - I'll let you play on my spinning wheel!

Beautiful wedding pics, btw... I remember thinking that life after my wedding was a bit of a let down - the wedding was better than I ever could have imagined, but our relationship didn't change much - it was a weird feeling. Let me know if you need to talk.... or spin!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?