9.23.2004

new traditions

First, lets talk about Thanksgiving.

Every year, since my birth, we have had Thanksgiving at home. This means a number of things.
1) My mom and I make the traditional trip to the food store (though which store has changed over the years) and buy more food than my family could ever possibly consume
2) My family miraculously manages to consume the food (though this comes later on)
3) The people who spend Thanksgiving with us every year changes. It ranges from 4 to 6. Last year we had one of the biggest Thanksgivings in our family's history: 9!!
4) My mom makes her mashed potatoes. MMmmmm they are so good. I know the secret, but I can't tell you.
5) We go to the bonfire, we go to the football game and then we eat. We aim for 1 but usually its at 3.
6) We then have pie and birthday cake! Pralines and cream ice cream cake from Baskin Robins. We've had it every year for 21 years.

My birthday falls around Thanksgiving every year. This has its ups and its downs. It usually means I get more than one BDay celebration because my family members remember its my birthday BECAUSE of thanksgiving.

My brother, by the way, thinks my birthday IS thanksgiving. I'm ok with this. However, he is almost in his mid 30s. Someone should clue him in.

This year, we are breaking the tradition. We are having Thanksgiving in Maryland at my cousins house. I like this, and I hope the tradition continues. We're making it a potluck, and I am taking on the responsiblity of assigning everyone dishes to bring.

I cant friggen wait!

I, of course, will be making the dessert.

This year, my inlaws will be joining the family fun. I am overjoyed! We will kick the attendance up by 4 people, bringing the all time total to 13! I can't believe it! Glad I'm not cookin the turkey *snickers* More Quorn Roast for me!

Now, Lets move into Christmas.

We NEVER spend the Holidays at home. NEVER EVER EVER. And, I am completely ok with this. I remember when I was little we used to, but for about the past... oh... at least 10 years we have not spent it in NJ.

This year, it looks like the masses are voting for Christmas in NJ. I'm still torn on the idea. It will be what we make of it. Maybe we'll be able to mix things up a bit, and can form different traditions, different than the ones we have.

I think I'd like to start this by making everyone christmas stockings.
My mom says she wants hers and mine to be HUGE. No problem, I can do huge.

So, we have Roger, Nathan, Amanda, Maddie, Mom, Dad, Gram, Grandmother, Mike, Me, Matt as "for sures" though - before you jump to any conclusions, Matt and I have not yet decided how we are goign to work xmas. NY or NJ? My folks or his? I do kinda one up him with family coming from all over the country.

Maybe New Years in New York? It sounds romantic! Maybe MIL and FIL will come to NJ. Regardless of what we decide, I am going to make them stockings too... Pat, Bil and Justin. That way, when matt and I have our own house, we can MAKE EVERYONE come to us and make sure they bring their stockings.

So, the point of this post.

New Traditions are springing up everywhere, and i am going with the change. Knitting wise, it means people will open presents, see some got handknit goodies and others did not. Thems the breaks. However, everyone will get a stocking.

Anyone recommend a good stocking book? I was to knit BIG fun and whimsicle stockings.

Man, I feel like its XMas already!
Comments:
Yay Christmas! I like thinking about Christmas right around the time that I get sick of summer. :) It's never too early! Autumn and Christmas are my favorite seasons (I won't say winter, because I get tired of that around Feb.) :)

There are a lot of links to patterns at http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art6504.asp but I haven't checked them out to see how they were yet.
 
Here's a book, too, that you can "look inside" at Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931499004/ref=sib_rdr_dp/104-9331081-8403904?%5Fencoding=UTF8&no=283155&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&st=books
 
Thanks so much, Lisa! I have some time left before class starts, I'll check them out now!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?