10.13.2004

MORNING!

So, how ya'll doin? Thats some southern twang in case you didn't catch it.

I wanted to share something with you all before I headed to class. Last night I was in a snowboard shop, looking at all of Burton's new Sweaters to see if I could figure out some patterns/yarn combos. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted some scarves and headed over there - this was starting to feel like a knitting gallery (on my way, I found some handknit fleece lined wool hats. smart smart smart!). I got to the scarves, and they were definitely made by a local crafts person. $69 a scarf! There were a couple of different types. There were a few striping ones that she knit width-wise, not lengthwise. She probably used a total of one ball of each color for 4 - 5 of the scarves! She then had two other types, one of just a novelty yarn knit up in garter stitch, and another with two strands of novelty yarn held together. I have the same estimate on those scarves - one ball of each type made at least 3 of her scarves.

And, they were SO simple and fast. I bet she sat down and knit them all in one afternoon. Thats IT. I've decided to do this myself, find some local shops and try to sell my stuff to the shops. I bet she got close to $35 a scarf selling it to the shop. She had about 30 scarves there, probably all knit in one afternoon from about 15 - 20 balls of yarn. So, we're saying what? Like $7 a ball? tops that it $140 worth of yarn. If she sells all of her scarves (which I am sure she will, they were very clever), she will make $1050. Minus the $140 is $910. I think thats a pretty good deal. And, of course she will have these scarves in more than one shop! Oh, I am so proud of her! All of those people who hate scarf knitters - some scarf knitters are smarter than you think!

Well, just some food for thought.

Quick knitting news: I am waiting on the two more balls of yarn to finish my dad's sweater. Yesterday, I took a trip to State College, PA for a family symposium. I brought my knitting! I was able to get a big chunk of the bucket hat for my niece finished. Next project? Sweater for Matt. I want that to be done by the end of the month. Then, I will tackle stocking until thanksgiving, where my mom will be bringing me two things. A poncho that fits her perfectly so that I can get the measurements to make her one, and also a sweater of my dad's so that I can compare measurements and tweak the sweater as needed.

I will then knit my mom's poncho, finish my dads sweater, finish any extra stockings, and end with a quick knit lace scarf for my gram. Oh, and I'm taking a class in there at some point to do Charlottes Web. Maybe I'll give that to my gram, it would make her feel so elegant!

Have a great day guys! Can't wait until my first class is over so I can surf some blogs!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?