11.04.2004

Knitting Safari - Part 1 of 4

I feel like I havent talked with you all forever! It has been a very busy week for me and DH. I don't know why, but I have just been so bogged down with school and commuting, when I have had a free moment, I've been knitting or spending it with DH.

Exciting news! Wireless internet is now available at school, so I am able to bring in my laptop and blog on campus! Yay pictures! Because of this new capability, I will share a picture of the bucket hat I finished for my niece. I took the picture this morning with the intention of posting it between my classes - its an aweful picture, but I didnt have the time to make it brilliant. I'm sure you all don't mind though :)


Maddie will just LOVE it! I really enjoyed working with the Ironstone, and I agree with Megan the hat is MUCH nicer once it is felted (with this yarn, anyway). I made a medium, and I made the mistake of letting it felt a little longer than I wanted - so its a good thing because it was actually too small when it came out. Thank goodness I'm buff and not afraid to show my knitting whose boss. The hat is going to be the perfect size - at least for another few months! She is growing so fast...

So, onto the knitting safari. I had my first knitting class last night at Woolwinders from 6 - 8pm. Boy, did the time fly. I picked Charlotte's Web as my project, seeing as how confusing the pattern was written out, I think it was a good pick. After much deliberation and reading the pattern about 15 times, my teacher and I came to an agreement on how it should be tackled. It will be a good proceedure until I come to row 29. I understand all the stitches that are needed, it is just sifting through all the info on the pattern and figuring out what is meant. I feel like I could make a ton of cash going through patterns and writing them out so they are EASY to read.

Here is a picture of my progress on Charlotte. Again, crappy picture.

Its only a tiny bit, but not bad for about... oh... an hours worth of actual knitting. This is my first time doing lace, and I must say, once I figured out how to read some of the pattern, it was easy!

When I went into the class, I was suprised. Not to put down anyone's knitting capabilities, and with the risk of sounding pretentious - I was suprised at the level of knitters who were there. But, the class is set up well, because the only person who needs to know more than me is the teacher. There are only 6 people in the class, so its a nice small size and will allow me to meet some new people. Do I feel challenged? Yes, I am taking on something that - for what ever reason - has intimidated me. Do I feel like I am growing? Yes! Could I have done this pattern without taking the class? Probably, but it is nice to have someone right there the second I have a question.

I have some goals for the shawl - I want to do at least one color change this weekend so I can go in next week with the problems that I am having.

Well, I hope you enjoyed my little note today. I hope you all have a great day/night (yay thursdays!!) and a lovely weekend!

Before I go, I want to apologize for my lack of involvement on all your blogs. Its been so busy here, I havent surfed blogs all week! I have off tomorrow though, I can't wait to catch up with all your lives :)

Happy Knitting!
Comments:
I second Elisa's Bloglines suggestion. I'm addicted!

That's so fun that you're taking a knitting class. Were most of the people in your class nice?

Very petty hat. :)
 
I really like that Charlotte's web pattern! Where is the pattern from? I might need to challenge myself in the future! Way to be brave and try something new!
 
Elisa & Lisa, Thanks so much for your comments, and your recommendation/information on bloglines. I will try it out, for sure!

Erleca, I found the pattern at www.threadbearfiberarts.com - thanks for the comment!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?